1.02.2006

first hat!

I really do need to get a digital photo up of this one. I saw a pattern in the Stitch & Bitch book that outlines a super simple hat. The writer described it as a pattern for someone who is ready to move past rectangles but not ready for circular knitting yet. I used a simple K2, P2 pattern for about 20 rows in bulky yarn and size 11 needles. Then I added a lighter yarn and stitched it onto size 10 needles for about 6 rows to add a second color. Then I stitched the original heavier yarn back onto the size 11's and decreased to the top with a K2tog, P2 for the first row, then K2tog, P1 for the next row, then K1, P1 for two rows, and then the last 2 rows were K2tog to the end. I cut a long strand of yarn off, threaded it through the live stitches, and then sewed down the back.

The hat is long, but very functional and hopefully warm. It's for my friend John, and he likes anything free so I don't imagine he'll complain much. ;-)