12.28.2005

latest project

Super Simple Tea Cosy Pattern Generator
by Lynn Siprelle

Your Super Simple Tea Cosy Pattern
You need:
2-4 oz worsted weight wool, cotton, acrylic or a blend (wool is more insulating)
Small amount in contrasting color if desired
One pair US size 6 / UK size 8 / 4.0 mm needles OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE
Tapestry needle
A teapot that needs cosying

Gauge: 5 sts/inch in stockinette stitch

Abbreviations
K: knit
P: purl
YO: yarn over
K2tog: knit two stitches together

Tea cosy side (make 2): Cast on 43 stitches. Work in garter stitch (K every row) for eight rows. Work two more rows in stockinette (K every right-side row, P every wrong-side row).

Bottom Eyelet Row: *K2, YO, K2tog, K2.* Repeat between * across the row.

Resume knitting in stockinette until the piece measures the same height as your teapot--measure with the eyelet row at the base and end just shy of the lid.

Top Eyelet Row: Work the same as the Bottom Eyelet Row.

Work two rows in stockinette, then eight rows more of garter stitch. Cast off.

To make up: Sew the two sides together using the tapestry needle, leaving the sides open where the handle and spout are, so that the cosy covers only the pot itself.

With contrasting or the same yarn, make two drawstrings 17 inches long. You can make them any way you wish--braid yarn together, crochet (make a chain 17 inches long, then single crochet back over its length), or I-cord (using two double pointed knitting needles, cast on three stitches, K3, slide stitches to the other end of the needle and without turning K3 again, making a tube--repeat until you have the length you want). Thread the drawstrings through the eyelets at the top and bottom, and there you have your tea cosy!



All right. I have THE most annoying yarn with which to work. But I'm trying it. First of all I had to redo the thing three times to get the number of stitches right, because I kept running out of the shorter piece of yarn.
As long as I keep it loose I think it'll be ok. It's formulated for a 17" round teapot.