
I finally finished this sweater up after some serious doubts about whether I'd have enough yarn, whether it would fit, if I had any idea what I was doing. I must have been in some kind of mood when I decided to jump on board Franklin's "Almanac-along" blog, knitting patterns from Elizabeth Zimmerman's "Knitter's Almanac" book. I had a copy and thought, "Why not?" This wasn't a pattern I would have chosen otherwise and it taught me a lot. I got the hang of that fishtrap pattern w/traveling stitches, knitting in back loop a lot, steeking for the first time, drop shoulders, short-rowing the back of neck, blocking and measuring as I go instead of waiting until the end. Blocking the fishtrap pattern really causes it to grow a lot.
The waist was tapered by decreasing the fishtrap design from a four-line diamond to three and then back to four at shoulders. I used blue-green and blue yarn at the neck, shoulders and cuffs to make sure I'd have enough yarn -- and I think it looks nicer that way. Jazzier colors.

I was trying to figure out how to take a picture of myself in daylight on the porch with the "self-timer" mode when I saw my neighbor John Urban across the street. Apparently he and about three squad cars and two cops on foot where searching the backyards for "some guy." John says, "Dory, are you sure you want to be out here. Don't get shot." I said, "John, I just need a picture of this sweater. Could you do it?" He thinks I'm nuts. For many reasons.